Friday, April 19, 2019

Making Holy Week Accessible For Little Ones

     

     To all my reader friends who celebrate Holy Week I pray you have all had a prayerful one. For those of you who happen to not have a clue what I mean by Holy Week it happens to commemorate the days of Jesus life and death leading into Easter. Out of respect for Good Friday I decided to wait until later today to post this so I could spend the majority of my week focused on Jesus and His suffering. I still wanted to get it up though in case you might be interested in mqking the handprint activity book together over the week-end.

     To help bring the ideas down to a pre k level all my Holy Week ideas actually were taken from Catholic Icing's blog post about Holy Week in Handprints. I am writing this here so I do not have to repeatedly write Catholic Icing after each activity. I am also using my phone, as I do not actually own a computer or laptop, so figuring how to put the link to that specific post is tricky for me. That blog pops up pretty easily though when googling the post I mentioned above. Since my kid is just shy of 3 1/2 I stuck with her abbreviated page choices.

     Along with focusing on Holy Week we also worked more on the letter "Bb" and the color white. Also, I hardly took any photos as a lot of these activities were done in my previous "Bb" acrivities week, with only a few changes, and because when you google the handprint activity you will see photos ecplaining the crafts on that blog.

Monday: Practice Writing Uppercase "B"/ Intro to Holy Week and Easter 
Books: My b Sound Box by Jane Belk Moncure
Jack and the Beanstalk by The Clever Factory
Easter by Lynn Peppas

Songs:
Baby Bumblebee
The Palm Sunday Song

Activities:
Intro Uppercase "B". Review Bb picture vocab words. Practice tracing uppercase "B."

Play with wood blocks

Play with dry beans

Easter donkey handprint activity

Tuesday: Intro Color White/ Jesus Teaches That Church Is A Place for Prayer
Books:
The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban
White by Nancy Harris
The Easter Surprise by Janet McDonnell

Songs:
Bathtime song by Raffi
What Wounderous Love Is This?

Activities:
Review Bb vocab words

Bubbles

Foam blocks

Intro white. White painting on black construction paper.

Holy week handprint activity.

Zoo day

Wednesday: Practice Writing Lowercase "b"/ Spy Wednesday
Books:
Busy Wheels by Peter Lippman
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
The Berenstain Bears and the Real Easter Eggs by Stan and Jan Berenstain

Songs:
Wheels On the Bus
At the Name of Jesus

Activities:
Review Bb vocab words. Practice tracing lowercase "b."

Lego blocks

Bus puzzle

Play with shaving cream for color white activity

Intro spy wednesday. Do the spy wednesday handprint activity.

Park Day

Thursday:Sorting/Matching/Holy Thursday
Books:
Jonah and the Big Fish by The Clever Factory
Stop That Ball! by Mike McClintock
The Story of Easter by Patricia A. Pingry

Songs:
Baby Beluga
At That First Eucharist

Activities:
Review Bb vocab words

Work on matching/sorting activity page

Balloon fun

Bocce ball fun

Play with white playdough

Intro Holy Thursday and why it is so special. Explain a little about the different things that will happen during Mass so that the child will be looking for them to happen during Mass later in the evening. Work on Holy Thursday footprint activity.

Friday: Bb Tracing Review/Good Friday
Books:
Goldilocks and the Three Bears by Robert Southey
Curious George Rides A Bike by H. A. Rey
The Easter Angels by Bob Hartman

Songs:
Five Little Monkeys Jumping On the Bed
Were You There When They Crucified My Lord?

Activities:
Review Bb vocab words. Practice tracing both uppercase and lowercase Bb.

Practice making the bed

Play with water beads

Play with cotton balls for color white

Intro Good Friday. Explain why it is a sad day, but also why it is still good. Explain the special things that will happen at church service today so the child is more interested in the service and more willing to participate. Work on Good Friday handprint activity.

These are just some ways to bring Holy Week more to a 3 1/2 yr. old's level. What activities can you think that can help young ones actively participate in the holiest week of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry For My Absence