Friday, September 13, 2019

All About Me!... well our kids actually

       

     EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT! WE HAD A FUN WEEK AND WE ARE GONNA SHOUT IT! Ok, maybe a tad silly, but my headline reminded me of that cheer rhyme, only I played soft ball growing up and we inserted if the batter got to base instead of a fun week. Anyway, I have already gone off topic talking about myself... (see what I did there) ok, that was a bad joke. I couldn't stop myself. It can be so easy to talk about myself at times, then other times I avoid bringing attention to myself. Just depends on my mood I guess.

     The thing is kids LOVE to learn about themselves, as well as are now at around four years old are also interested in learning more about their peers as well. It is an important part of development for this age to get excited over shared interests and then quickly make friends.  This week, I thought it would be a good week not only to learn more about my kid, but also help my kid realize that God made every person and no matter their looks, language, or whatever makes them unique it is something to celebrate rather than judge. A week about acceptance and being a good citizen. With this past week also remembering 9/11 I figured this would be more age appropriate to show honor for those lost that day than delving into something my kid might actually end up having some anxiety over as he does struggle with that at times and we live near a county airport with lots of planes flying close by our home all the time.
   
     Along with the above we also focused on the letter "Oo" and number 5.

Monday-Practice Tracing Uppercase "O"/God Made Us Special
Books:
My "o" Soundbox by Jane Belk Moncure
God Made Me Special  A Veggie Tales Book

Songs:
I Am Special
(Are You Sleeping?)
I am special
I am special
Can't you see
Can't you see
Someone very special
Someone very special
Cause God made me
God made me

Octopus Garden by Raffi

Activities:
Review "Oo" picture vocabulary words
Practice tracing uppercase "O"

Make octopi using playdough

Use a mirror to talk about the different characteristics God used to create your child... eye color, hair color, freckles or not, skin color... find out which parts your child likes about what he/she sees and then try and celebrate the parts they did not mention. See which parts of each family member your child likes... like an uplifting type of activity for the whole family.

Tuesday- "Oo" Phonics/Trace Number 5/How Everyone Is Different, but Also the Same

Books:
Open Very Carefully: A Book With A Bite by Nick Bromley
We Are Alike, We Are Different by Janice Behrens

Songs:
One Two Buckle My Shoe
Jesus Loves the Little Children

Activities:

Review "Oo" vocab words. Work on "Oo" phonics work

Play in the splash pool with turqoise food coloring and glitter for an ocean type vibe

Talk about how different everyone is and why being different is a good thing

Do a family fingerprinting activity to show how every person even have their own unique fingerprints

Practice tracing number 5.
Work on number five group recognition using finger prints....


Wednesday- Trace Lowercase "o"/Importance of Being A Good Citizen

Books:
A Picnic In October by Eve Bunting
Why Are People Different by Barbara Shook Hazen

Songs:
Oats and Beans and Barley Grow
Jesus Loves Me

Activites:
Review "Oo" picture vocab and practice tracing lowercase "o."

Play with dry oatmeal for sensory play

Talk about how important it is to be a good citizen. Help when you see you can help, be kind, and treat every person with respect.

Use blocks to help your child build your family's home.

Thursday- Sequencing and Matching Day/All About Feelings 

Books:
Odd Dog by Claudia Boldt
Feelings by Noria Roca

Songs:
Biscuits In the Oven by Raffi
There Is No One Who Is Just Like Me
(Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)

There is no one who is just like me
No one who knows how to be
Me when i am mad or sad
Me when i am very glad
There is no one who is just like me
Me is who i am proud to be.

Activities:
Review "Oo" picture vocab
Work on sequencing and matching activity

Play with play kitchen to use the play oven

Intro feelings and how natural it is to feel many different things at different times and how feelings are also something that make us unique.

Play feeling flashcard game

Zoo day

Friday-"Oo" Review/All About Me Poster Day/How We Look on the Inside

Books:
Look Out, Jack! The Giant Is Back! by Tom Birdseye
Jessica's X-Ray by Pat Zonta

Songs:
This Old Man
The Hokey Pokey

Activities:

Review "Oo" vocab and tracing work

Paint with orange paint

Work on our all about me poster

Talk about our body and use the x-ray book to help show how we might look on the inside too...

Park day!


These are just a few activities I thought up to help my kid have a fun as well as educational week learning about himself and others too. Do you have any fun activities that could work on this type of theme? Please share if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry For My Absence