Friday, August 16, 2019

Step Right Up to See Some Amazing Acts!!!



      (a painting I created as a birthday gift)


     My last post was kind of a glance at the books and songs I continued to work on with my my kid over the Summer months. Our Summer was also filled with home renovations, amusement park fun, and beach bumming while visiting my parents home for a couple of weeks. Also lots of zoo trips and park days and water fun galore were happening as well. It was a fun and memorable Summer break, but it has now come to an end. To be completely honest I was not sure I would continue with my blog this year, because I wanted to be even more in the moment with my child instead of a camera lens so I did not really capture our fun in photographs. I realized though this blog really did help me keep organized and looking back has refreshed my memory. better than my haphazard notes have done so here I am back at it again. I like to try to stick fairly close to our public school system's schedule since we live in a suburb area with wonderful, but also observant neighbors. It is important to me as I continue on with our homeschooling journey that our neighbors can tell we are working too even though not in a public school setting.

      This week I thought a fun way to ease back into our school routine would be a circus themed week. The circus is a great sensory asthetic experience that can help children work on using their imagination, gross motor skills, fine motor skills, science, and creativity. There are lots of fun books and songs as well that are catchy.

     Along with the citcus theme we worked on our letter Kk as well as gettong back into learning our numbers. I started back with the number one.

Monday:Practice Tracing Uppercase K/Review and Practice Tracing 1/Intro To the Circus
Books
My Kk Soundbox by Jane Belk Moncure
Circus by Jack Prelutsky

Songs
Let's Go Fly A Kite from Mary Poppins
Funny Clown (tune of Teddy Bear Teddy Bear)
Funny clown funny clown
Spin around
Funny clown funny clown
Jump up and down
Funny clown funny clown
Touch your toes
Funny clown funny clown
Honk your nose

Activities:
Review Kk vocab words
Practice tracing uppercase K
Play with keys. Practice unlocking doors
Use plastic colorful balls and practice juggling together.

Tuesday: Work on Kk Phonics Work/Circus Animals
Books
Pig Kahuna by Jennifer Sattler
One by V. Radunsky
Curious George Rides A Bike by H. A. Rey

Songs
Knees Up Mother Brown by Raffi
One by Chris Sligh
Let's Go to the Circus (tune of Mary had a Little Lamb)
Let's all go to the circus today, the circus today, the circus today.  Let's all go to the circus today and watch the big parade

See the clowns all tumbling around, timbling around, tumbling around. See the clowns all tumbling around in the circus ring.

Lions and tigers jumping through hoops, jumping through hoops, jumping through hoops. Lions and tigers jumping through hoops in their circus cage.

The prancing horses step so high, step so high, step so high. The prancing horses step so high around the circus ring.

Repeat first paragraph

Activities
Review Kk vocab words. Work on the letter Kk phonics work page
Use a plastic knife to cut Play dough
Review and practice tracing number one. Work on recognizing what one object looks like vs groups of objects. We used animal crackers.
Play with the train and build a circus ring of animals around it with blocks and play amimals.

Wednesday: Practice Tracing Lower Case k/Circus Acts
Books
The Little Kids Table by Mary Ann McCabe Riehte
Clifford at the Circus  Norman Bridwell

Songs:
The Kit-Kat song
Take Me Out to the Circus (tune:Take Me Out to the Ball Game)
Take me out to the circus
Take me to the big top.
I want to see the clowns tumbling around
As I eat popcorn and drink soda pop
Oh the lions and tigers may scare me
And the hire wire acts amaze me
So...you...see all the great things  we will do
On our circus day!

Activities:
Review Kk vocab and practice tracing lower case k
Play with dry kidney beans
Practice balancing for a "high wire" act. We used some long boards in our backyard to balance on.

Thursday: Sequencing/Circus Side Acts
Books:
Kitten In Trouble by Maria Polushkin
Horton Hatches An Egg by Dr. Seuss

Songs:
Three Little Kittens
Walking Through the Circus (tune: I've Been Working On the Railroad)
I am walking through the circus
Happy as can be.
I am walking through the circus
Just to see what I can see.
I can see the clown laughing
I can see the elephant too.
I can see the lion sleeping.
Look out! Cause he sees you too.

Activities:
Review Kk vocab words
Work on a sequencing work page
Practice karate kicks
Practice acrobat moves

Friday: Review Day/Circus Equipment and Safety
Books:
My Kitchen by Harlow Rockwell
The Greatest Show On Earth by John Prater

Songs:
Kitchen Sing-Sing by Raffi
A Million Dream from The Greatest Showman soundtrack

Activities:
Work on letter Kk review sheet
Play with toy kitchen
Zoo day. Look for the kimono dragon
Share some simple magic tricks!


What ways can you think if making a circus theme fun and educational???


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry For My Absence