Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Importance of Sensory Play

   


     First off I want to say sorry for not getting this post up sooner today. It has been a kind of off day for me, but I did not forget about it. Just had to postpone it a little.
     Sensory play. What is it? Why is it such a big deal for childhood? What does sensory play look like at home and does it always have to be messy?
     Sensory play is coming up with things that enhances the senses. Tasting, touching, smelling, hearing, and seeing. It can be calming noises in the background of a story, or it can be using scented markers while coloring. It can be going on nature hikes or using flashlights or glow in the dark sticks in a homemade tent. It can be making sensory containers filled with things of different textures. It can be introducing new foods for kids to try. It can be as messy as you want it to be or not so messy. Personally, in summertime I find is the best time for big messy sensory fun because you can wash them off outside without fear of it being too cold.
    Sensory play is not just allowing kids to make messes. It is so much more than that. Through sensory play children learn and understand more and more about the world around them. If they do not get introduced to different sensory activities than it will take them longer to be comfortable in their world to continue to grow and explore. The more they are introduced to different sensory input the more excited they are to push past what they are familiar with. It gives them a stronger sense of self which then builds stronger self-confidence. Through sensory play kids also strengthen their fine and gross motor skills. It also can help relax nervous children.
     I know when i explore things like shaving cream, gloop, flour, or dry beans it definitely relaxes me. Favorite scents have a calming affect on me, and there is nothing like fitting music to my moods. If these things are helpful for me as an adult I know they must have an even bigger impact on my sweet and active boy.
     I am sure there are other ways sensory play is an important part of childhood development. What other ways can yiu think of for making sensory play a big part of everyday life of children?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry For My Absence