Friday, September 14, 2018

Loving and Respecting All of God's Creatures Week

I think this quote explains very well why we should help teach our children how to respect and take care of all of God's creatures. This week I focused mostly on family pets. We, as a family, do not actually own a pet, but we have several family members who do have pets and I want my boy to learn the importance and responsibility of caring for a pet properly. I am an animal lover, well except when it comes to snakes, spiders, and mosquitoes and ticks...basically blood sucking things and stinging insects just creep me out. I still leave them alone outside though.

Also this week, as I mentioned in my previous post, is a big review week. Because of that fact I did not capture many pictures with new ideas in them as most of our activities have been from previous weeks lesson plans.

Monday: What is a pet/Review of uppercase letters A-E/ review of "Aa" vocab words/review of biggest vs smallest
Books: Found Alphabet by Ramon Schindler and Wokciech
Arthur's Pet Business by Marc Brown
My First Dictionary, "Aa" words only

Songs: Alphabet song
How Much Is That Doggy In the Window?

Activities: Flashcards of uppercase A-E letters
Uppercase A-E scavenger hunt (Sunday night I cut out construction paper uppercase letters and then taped them around our living room at my son's eye level for him to find Monday morning)
Pom pom play (seperated pom poms into big and small piles)
Free painting
Zoo day


Tuesday: Different Pet Habitats/Review of "Bb" vocab/Review of longest vs shortest
Books: A Rainforest ABC by Amanda Doering
Curious George Rides A Bike by H. A. Rey
My First Dictionary "Bb" words only

Songs: B-I-N-G-O
I Have A Pet by Super Simple Songs

Activities: Review "Bb" words
Talk about how different pets need different places to live in a house...birds live in cages, fish love in aquariums, horses live in barns, etc.
Shaving cream play to re-learn long vs short as well as practicing straight lines in.
Free coloring


Wednesday: Talk about different pet chores/ Review lower-case "a-e"/Review "Cc" vocab/review of dark vs light
Books: Chick Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault
Clifford At the Circus by Norman Bridwell
My First Dictionary "Cc" words only

Songs: Super Why version of Alphabet Song
Pussy Cat Pussy Cat

Activities: Lower-case a-e flash cards review
Matching lowercase a-e cut-outs to the Uppercase "A-E" still hanging on the walls in the house
Review of "Cc" vocab words
Glow in the dark bracelet fun to review light vs dark with home made tent inside.
Talk about the things we need to do to maje sure pets are taken care of properly

Thursday: Veterinarian Day/"Dd" vocab review/review empty vs full/practice tracing and cutting
Books: Danny's Duck by Clara Vulliamy
Just Me and My Puppy by Mercer Meyer
My First Dictionary "Dd" words only

Songs: Five Little Ducks by Raffi
Tingaleyo by Raffi

Activities: Review "Dd" words
Use flour for review of empty vs. full
Tracing activity
Practice using safety scissors
Play Veterinarian to explain who we bring pets to when they are sick
Ball and tent play outside



Friday- What NOT to do to pets/"Ee" vocab review/Aa-Ee vocab work sheets review/cold vs hot review
Books: Emergency by Tom Lichtenheld and Ezra Fields-Meyer
Don't Take Your Snake for a Stroll by Karen Ireland
My First Dictionary "Ee" words only

Songs: Alphabet Song in the tune of Row Row Row Your Boat
Mary Had a Little Lamb

Activities: Review "Ee" words
Review a-e vocab worksheets and match them to the letters still hanging around the living room
Ice play out side
Explain what is not ok for a person to do to a pet and the importance of being gentle to animals. 
Park day
 How the abc wall art ended up looking

 Just because this filter amused me

 These are what happens when my kid is not at all interested in posing for a photo by said wall-art....it is as close as I could get.

How do you feel about reviewing concepts at young ages? Share your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry For My Absence