Monday, October 22, 2018

Intro Into Theories On Teaching Young Children Letter Recognition

   

     If you have been following my blog you know we work on learning about the alphabet. There are differing opinions and theories on how to teach letter recognition correctly. Personally, I think there is no real wrong way to introduce it to little ones. The important thing is introducing it.
   
      I thought I would take a minute to share how I plan on helping my three yr old (his third birtbday is Thursday) with letter recognition. There are lots of teachers who believe that teaching the alphabet in order of the abc song is outdated, and maybe if you are really pushing early reading it is, For the first time through introducing my child to the alphabet I see nothing wrong with going through the order they are most likely already very familiar with. The traditional order. For the following times after I plan on re-introducing it to him phonetically instead of the traditional order.

     Marie Montessori was one of the first learning theorists who believed teaching the alphabet phonetically is more beneficial to the children as it helps them learn how to make simple words with them easier. There are other theories out there that prefer teaching the letters of the child's name first, then vowels, then consonants. Some theories believe we should teach all lowercase letters before introducing uppercase letters. There are still other theories out there that completely ignore teaching letters in the week altogether as they prefer letters that go with whatever subject theme they are working on that week. I would not say any of these ways are wrong. Just depends on what you feel more comfortable with.

Here are a couple of the more popular orders teachers will use to introduce letter recognition. There are so many other ideas for order of teaching the alphabet, but I like these two the best.


and this 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry For My Absence