Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Important Things I Realized While Building A Ginger Bread House

     I have been going through a little bit of a writer's block these last several days.  Every time i have sat down to type something out for a post I have not been able to come up with something interesting or helpful I feel like. Life is like that sometimes. Maybe I am getting antsy for our two week break from more structured learning and looking forward to just living in the moment during this fun age and magical time of year...

     Last night I pulled out our ginger bread kit thinking of how much fun my child would have helping me put candies all over the house. I imagined him pointing out where I needed to put icing for his candies and it looking like a beautiful 3 yr old masterpiece. It did not turn out that way. Infact my kid had zero interest in anything to do with that ginger bread house, and my husband was like decorate it all. So there I was doing what  I imagined would be a fun family bonding activity all by myself. Well the decorating part of it by myself anyway.  Making a ginger bread house stick together I learned is NOT a one person thing. I quickly realized I needed help to make it all stay stuck together while putting it together. Parts ended up upside down or flipped on the wrong direction. Once ot was put together I was terrified of adding anymore to it so it would not chance falling down and trying to rebuild it all over over again.

     Life is like that though.... No matter how wonderful things we plan out go in our minds, rarely do those scenes play out the way we hoped for. The same goes for lesson planning. We can think up ideas or be inspired by pictures we find on the internet. Rarely do those things work out the way we imagined, yet thet still work out. Sone in even more fun ways than we expected, and others for only a couple of minutes. It is in the actually activity we have to learn to let go of our plans and just enjoy watching our kids use their imaginations to explore in more creative ways than we anticipated. Hearing their giggled and watching them as their minds are working out new concepts. Seeing their journey through the activity os what matters.

     We cannot do these things on our own though. We need help from our own support system to get through the tougher times. I know I wrote a post on optimism last week, and this post ma thg be re hitting on some of those same points, but I gotta say they are important. Prayimg for strength and wisdom of what God wants of us is integral. Having a spouse who will rally for you on those days you really want to give up on homeschooling altogether is integral. Having friends you can call or hang out and chill with are important. Family members who have your back when other family members question your choice of home education are vital. Remembering to be flexible and ready for the unplanned is part of this job and lifestyle.

     Sit back and try your best to enjoy the ride. You are doing what you feel is best for your family and that is what matters the most.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry For My Absence